Winter 2015-2016 Front Page – 2015 CAI-WNY Annual Meeting & Trade Show Is a Record-Breaker

The first CAI-WNY Annual Meeting to be held in the Rochester area far exceeded everyone’s expectations with record attendance! We had 168 participants from various board association members, community association managers and their staff as well as many business partners and service providers to our communities. The event also broke the record for total income and residual profit which will be applied to the presentation of future programs in the Rochester area. There were a record number of exhibitors representing a cross section of community services: banking, insurance, landscapers, irrigation, home remodeling, exterminating, document management, excavation, driveway sealing, door replacement, and heating & cooling. We received glowing reviews on surveys completed at the event. “Location” recorded a 99% excellent score and the remaining 1% indicated […]

» Read more

President’s Message

Our members are engaged in CAI-WNY! – Richard K. Aikens, CMCA This will be my final message as president of the CAI-WNY board of directors since my two-year term will conclude on December 31, 2015. President–Elect Jean Kough will serve as our board president for 2016-2017. As I reflect back on these past years in office, I am very pleased with what our board has accomplished, since our primary objective was to increase member involvement in our chapter. This goal was accomplished through the many successful programs we offered in both Rochester and Buffalo, including: How to Deal with Difficult People; Insurance Issues for Community Associations; Trade Shows and Annual Meetings. Overall, we had more than 600 attendees at our events in 2014 and 2015. […]

» Read more

CED Message

We want to hear from you – from the desk of Frank Lysiak   What a difference a year makes! Remember last year’s record snowfall – the infamous “Snowvember” – when a number of our community associations were dealing with eight feet of snow? Compare that to this year when we’re on track to break a turn of the century (1899) record on NO measurable snowfall to date. I have to believe that most of our association board members, community managers, and service providers are pleased with this year’s long term weather forecast after the barrage of negativity based on the record snowfall and cold temperatures beginning at this time last year. “Thank YOU, El Nino!“ Speaking of records, please take note of our article […]

» Read more

Legal Corner

by Ronald S. Shubert, Esq. Q: I am the president of a condominium, which passed a rule that the condominium is a no-smoking property. A resident has made a complaint to the Division of Human Rights against the condominium, because one of the owners is smoking on the property and causing serious health issues for one of the other owners. The other night, the smoker and a friend were up most of the night drinking and smoking. The police were called, but indicated there wasn’t much they could do. The following morning, I received a call from a board member stating that the police were on the property and arrested the friend of the smoker and took away his vehicle. The board is looking for […]

» Read more